This report for WRAP acts as a guide to setting up Commercial and Industrial (C&I) Waste and Recycling Drop-Off Centres for local authorities.
C&I drop-off centres allow small and medium enterprises to recycle a range of materials that they may be unable to afford on a collection-only basis. This report uses case study evidence from local authority Household Waste and Recycling Centres and Waste Transfer Stations C&I drop-off centres in the UK, drawing from the lessons learnt by the authorities who have already taken this step.
This guide provides key information to consider when developing a C&I drop-off centre for SMEs, including:
- What materials to accept, including what materials can legally be accepted and how to prioritise which materials to collect;
- Set up costs and additional operational costs;
- Charging mechanisms, including price setting and options for accepting payment;
- How to address operational barriers, such as health and safety, signage, storage capacity and optimum site layout;
- Monitoring and continuous improvement; and
- Guidance on the law surrounding C&I drop-off centres.
This report is available free of charge. Please provide a few details about yourself and one of the team will email you the full report shortly.